25 September 2012

News for October 2012


October is Buy Nothing New Month

Visit the website  www.buynothingnew.com.au/
The following is an extract from it….
Buy Nothing New Month is the global movement for collective, conscientious consumption.

It's a little idea, that started in Melbourne and is spreading to the Netherlands and USA.

It's a one month challenge to buy nothing new (with the exception of essentials like food, hygiene and medicines)

It's literally about taking one month off to really think, "Do I really need it?" If I do, “can I get it second-hand, borrow it or rent it? What are my alternatives? Can I borrow from a friend? Can I swap with my neighbor?"

It's about thinking where our stuff comes from (finite resources) and where it goes when we're done (often landfill) and what are the fantastic alternatives out there to extend the life of our 'stuff'.


Wanted: Timber edging for beds at the Community Food Garden.  Hardwood  100mm x 50mm or similar.  Can anyone help?  Secondhand is fine.

The next monthly meeting is on Wednesday 10th October at 7 pm at the Community Meeting Room, 22 Torrens Street, Richmond.

Group contact: Penny Wadsley   Ph  6260 2950 or email pmwadsley@ozemail.com.au
 or visit   www.crvslg.blogspot.com